Property enquiry certificates

A property enquiry certificate brings together various pieces of information about a property. The information is often required when buying or selling a house. The seller's solicitor will normally request it as part of the property search.

Request a certificate

Requests for certificates should be addressed to

City of Edinburgh Council
Planning and Building Standards (PEC)
Waverley Court
4 East Market Street

Please note if you are buying or selling a house it is important to ensure that all the proper consents are in place for any work that has been carried out. This may also include work that previous owners have done.

Our guide to selling your house should be sufficient for most property transactions. You can download this below.

Download the guide to selling your home (PDF, 147 KB)

Certain details need to be provided in property enquiry certificates.


Planning applications for the property since October 1990, whether it is a listed building, in a conservation area, affected by Article 4 direction, or subject to an enforcement notice.

Building warrant

Any recent decisions on applications for the property.

Roads information

Whether the road access is adopted by the Council for maintenance purposes and if the property is affected by any transport proposals.

Statutory notices

Served under the Civic Government legislation or the Edinburgh District Council Order Confirmation Act for repairs to the property.

Served under housing, environmental protection and health and safety legislation.

Contaminated land

Information on whether land is in the Contaminated Land register.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.