Register a death
You need to make an appointment at one of our offices to register a death. You have eight days to do this.
59-63 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1RN
0131 529 2600
30 Ferry Road, Edinburgh, EH6 4AE
0131 529 5520
53 High Street, South Queensferry, EH30 9HP
0131 331 1590
16 Station Road, Kirkliston, EH29 9BE
0131 529 6920
Documents to bring
Please make sure you bring
- certificate of death from the hospital or doctor
- birth and marriage or civil partnership certificate for deceased, if you have them
- NHS medical card.
Tell Us Once is a service we use to notify government departments, including the Department for Work and Pensions, and different services in the council. You tell us which departments apply and we notify them for you.
To use the service please bring along these documents
- national insurance number
- driving licence
- blue badge.
Documents we will issue
- an abbreviated death certificate, free of charge
- Form 14 for the funeral director, free of charge.
If you do not use the Tell Us Once service to inform the Department for Work and Pensions we will give you a BD8 form so you can notify them yourself. This is free of charge.
For more information please visit National Records of Scotland website.