The Edinburgh Award
The Edinburgh Award was established in 2007 and is now a prestigious annual award to honour an outstanding individual who has made a positive impact on the city and gained national and international recognition for Edinburgh.
Nominations for the 2019 Award are now closed. The winner will be announced shortly.
- was born in Edinburgh or has lived in the city for the past 12 months
- has not previously been awarded The Freedom of the City
- is not a previous winner of The Edinburgh Award
- is not a serving politician.
The winner is presented with an engraved Loving Cup at a ceremony hosted by the Lord Provost and has their hand prints reproduced on a flagstone in the City Chambers quadrangle.
Edinburgh Award recipients
- 2018 Doddie Weir
- 2017 Sir Timothy O'Shea
- 2016 Ken Buchanan MBE
- 2015 Sir Tom Farmer
- 2014 Thomas Gilzean
- 2013 Richard Demarco
- 2012 Dame Elizabeth Blackadder
- 2011 Professor Peter Higgs
- 2010 George Kerr CBE
- 2009 Sir Chris Hoy MBE
- 2008 JK Rowling OBE
- 2007 Ian Rankin OBE