Parks and gardens - Colinton and Craiglockhart Dells

Image
Name Colinton and Craiglockhart Dells
Address Lanark Road
Postcode EH14 1JF
Telephone 0131 529 2401
Email naturalheritageservice@edinburgh.gov.uk
Facilities Natural Heritage ServiceInterpretation
River walks
Seating
Wildlife habitats (Woodland, river)
Cycleway (part of site)
Background Colinton and Craiglockhart Dells provide a beautiful tree clad section of the Water of Leith Walkway. The woodlands are classfied as ancient or long-established and the most common trees are ash, lime, elm, birch, willow and hawthorn. On higher banks are oak, yew, holly, hornbeam, cedar, sweet chestnut and beech.
History and heritage Redhall Castle and Redhall House, at the upstream entrance to Craiglockhart Dell, have long histories. The castle, built in the 13th century, was torched and razed by Cromwell in 1650. Redhall House, also reduced by Cromwell, was rebuilt in 1756 by George Ingles, who laid out the grounds, planted trees and bushes and created grottoes.
Wildlife Protection from high banks and thick undergrowth make it a natural habitat for a range of wildlife. More than 80 species of birds have been recorded, including finches, tits, dippers, ousels, wrens and owls. Voles, frogs, rabbits, hares, weasles, stoats, foxes and occasionally roe deer have been seen.
Organise an event Find out how to organise an event in Edinburgh's parks
Location map