Monuments in Parks and Greenspaces - Allan Ramsay Statue

Monument Allan Ramsay Statue
Location West Princes Street Gardens
Information Allan Ramsay (1685 -1758) opened Britain's first circulating library on the Royal Mile, wrote ‘The Gentle Shepherd' and was involved in the revival of Scots vernacular poetry. The ten-foot high Carrara marble statue by Sir John Steell shows him wearing a night-cap rather than a wig, an allusion to the fact he had been a wig-maker as a young man. The ornate Binny sandstone plinth is by David Bryce R.S.A.
Contact museumsandgalleries@edinburgh.gov.uk
Location map