Child protection

Concerns for a child’s safety

Children and young people have the right to be protected and to be safe from harm by others. Most children in Scotland grow up in a safe place, but sadly some do not. These children need extra help from adults to keep them safe.

You should contact Social Care Direct if you are worried about a child or young person's safety or wellbeing. 

Call 999 in an emergency. You can also call the police on 101 if it's not urgent. 

When you report a child at risk

We will take your call seriously. We will find out more to help us decide what to do next. Our next step may be to

  • take no further action 
  • offer the family support
  • put the child and family in touch with another agency for support
  • start to investigate if we think that the child is not safe.

We are all responsible for making sure that all children are safe. Everyone in a community plays a vital role in looking after the children who live there.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.