City centre west to east cycle link and street improvements project
We are developing a new cycle route linking the Roseburn path to Leith Walk via the city centre which forms part of National Cycle Network (NCN) Route 1.
The aim is to provide a cycle route which is designed for less confident cyclists and those who may be concerned about cycling in busy traffic. The route will be mostly segregated from traffic and will link together through planned cycle facilities on Leith Walk with the off-road path network at Roseburn. There will also be links to
- Haymarket Station
- Rutland Square
- Lothian Road.
New proposed cycle route on Melville Street/Queensferry Street.
The route itself will run along key streets including
- Roseburn Terrace
- West Coates
- Melville Street
- Charlotte Square
- York Place.
You can download the route map and other information relating to the project below.
The planned improvements include
- new cycle routes with protected cycle tracks on main roads
- cyclist and pedestrian priority at key junctions to reduce conflict with other traffic
- making the cycling environment more pleasant through Streetscape / public realm and Quiet Street improvements
- improved pedestrian and cyclist facilities
- new or relocated pedestrians and cycle crossings to help people cross roads safely
- use of quieter side streets where possible
- resurfacing of some setted side streets not currently suitable for cycling.
The preliminary design for the route was approved in December 2016. The scheme proposals will now be taken forward to the detailed design in early 2017. Detailed plans of the route are available to view/download below.
We undertook a public consultation between 16 November 2015 and 1 February 2016.
You can download the consultation report below which details the results of this process.
The project is currently at Stage 3 of the development cycle, as detailed below:
Stage 1 - Initial feasibility study (early 2014) - complete
Stage 2 - Route development (2014-2016) - complete
Stage 3 - Detailed design (2017)
- detailed scheme design for preferred route - ongoing
- statutory procedures (Traffic Regulation Order + Redetermination Order)
- tender preparation and procurement
Stage 4 - Construction (2018-20)
If you'd like to join our dedicated project mailing list to receive regular updates regarding the project's progress and ways to be involved, please get in touch with Rurigdh McMeddes, Stakeholder Liaison Officer for the project. Rurigdh's contact details are below.